LRAD Corporation is using long-range communication to safely hail and warn, inform and direct, prevent misunderstandings, determine intent, establish large safety zones, resolve uncertain situations and save lives on both sides of its proprietary Long Range Acoustic Device® (LRAD®).
LRAD systems broadcast live or pre-recorded voice messages with exceptional clarity in any operational scenario over distances ranging from 50 meters up to 5.3 sq. kilometers. LRAD’s optimized driver and waveguide technology ensures every voice and warning tone broadcast cuts through crowd, engine, and background noise, and is clearly heard and understood, even inside buildings and vehicles.
In public security and defense applications, LRAD fills the critical gap between the limited range and poor intelligibility of bullhorns and vehicle P.A. systems, and kinetic measures including tear gas projectiles, rubber bullets, pepper balls, Tasers, and flash bang grenades. LRAD is not a weapon; LRAD is a highly intelligible long-range communication system and the safer alternative to kinetic force.
LRAD’s omnidirectional ONE VOICE™ systems combine public address with alarm tones and highly intelligible voice mass notification. Legacy warning systems sound sirens, but are severely voice-challenged. LRAD mass notification systems safely communicate to crowds during large, outdoor events and to affected populations throughout emergency situations. LRAD systems are self-contained and do not rely on external power or communication infrastructure.
LRAD alarm tones are similar to police and fire sirens and are very effective in gaining attention to the voice messages that follow. Contrary to erroneous reports, LRAD is incapable of generating very low frequencies and does not cause nausea or disorientation.
LRAD systems are safe, rugged, portable, reliable, easy to operate and can be temporarily or permanently mounted.
LRAD Corporation maintains a strict policy of selling LRAD systems only to qualified government agencies and commercial security entities. Operators are trained in the device’s operation and use before deployment.
LRAD broadcasts are safe and have been optimized to the 1 – 5 kHz primary human hearing range. Maintaining a smooth frequency response with an intensity variation of less than 5 dB over in the range between 300 Hz and 6.5 kHz, LRAD systems avoid audio fading and ensure clear communications across all frequencies over distance.
Each LRAD model is the loudest, most intelligible product in its size and weight category. Additionally, LRAD features a portable capability in a rugged, lightweight waterproof casing, as well as wireless capability and the option to operate the device remotely across an IP-accessible network. LRAD provides communication solutions to meet any operational requirement.
How LRAD is deployed in public, law enforcement and defense applications:
Step 1 – Operator broadcasts directions/instructions in a loud, clear voice
- LRAD broadcasts are highly effective in communicating clearly over distance and background noise to individuals, small groups and large crowds.
- Pre-recorded messages can be broadcast in multiple languages clearly and effectively.
- Hailing and warning in an authoritative, highly intelligible voice provides clearly heard and understood instructions and direction.
Step 2 – If direction is not taken, operator then broadcasts a more authoritative message
- Deployment of LRAD at increased volume levels can safely influence behavior and create safety zones while preventing the need for the escalation of force (EOF).
- Stand down or move to more aggressive stance.
Step 3 – If directions/instructions are not taken, operator employs the LRAD warning tone.
- LRAD safely creates increased standoff and safety zones, supports resolution of uncertain situations, and alleviates the use of harmful or deadly force.
- LRAD is equipped with a volume control knob. Unlike tear gas, Tasers, rubber bullets, pepper spray and other non-lethal and lethal responses, LRAD is safe and easily modulated.
Step 4 – After employing the above steps, if individuals or crowds persist in unlawful actions, operators are assured they provided clearly heard and understood commands to cease and desist before initiating EOF.
- Performance – Longest range, clearest communication, reliable and demonstrated safe operation.
- Flexibility – Scalable, portable and available in several mounting configurations, including an IP-addressable option.
- Design – Overcomes background noise to further increase the communication range in any type of terrain and environment.
- Controls – Simple to operate, allowing immediate response and process initiation. Single operator use reduces manpower while increasing security coverage.
- Escalation of Force – Much safer alternative to non-lethal deterrents when initiating the EOF.
- Safety – Creates increased standoff distances to enhance the safety of the public while providing peacekeeping personnel more time to assess and respond appropriately to public safety situations.
LRAD systems clearly, effectively and safely communicate over distance, create large standoff zones, prevent misunderstandings, determine intent, alleviate uncertain situations, prevent injuries, and save lives on both sides of the Long Range Acoustic Device.