LRAD Corporation is using long-range communication to safely hail and warn, inform and direct, prevent misunderstandings, determine intent, establish large safety zones, resolve uncertain situations and save lives on both sides of its proprietary Long Range Acoustic Device® (LRAD®).
Unlike bullhorns, vehicle P.A. systems and conventional loudspeakers that disperse sound in all directions, LRAD’s proprietary audio technology focuses sound in a 15° – 30° beam in front of its Long Range Acoustic Devices, while significantly reducing audio levels behind the devices and in surrounding areas. LRAD broadcasts are safely optimized to the primary human hearing range of 1 – 5 kHz to generate voice messages that are clearly heard and understood from close range to over 5,500 meters.
LRAD systems broadcast live or recorded voice messages with exceptional clarity in any operational scenario. LRAD’s advanced driver and waveguide technology ensures every voice and warning siren broadcast cuts through crowd, engine, and background noise, and is clearly heard and understood, even inside buildings and vehicles.
In uncertain or escalated public safety situations, LRAD fills the critical gap between the limited range and poor intelligibility of bullhorns and vehicle P.A. systems, and kinetic measures including tear gas projectiles, rubber bullets, pepper balls, Tasers, and flash bang grenades. LRAD is not a weapon; LRAD is a highly intelligible long-range communication system and the safer alternative to kinetic force.
LRAD’s omnidirectional ONE VOICE® systems combine warning sirens and highly intelligible voice broadcasts to provide advanced mass notification and public address solutions. Antiquated warning systems sound sirens to alert of approaching danger, but most are incapable of clear voice broadcasts containing critical information about the severity of the situation and recommended actions to protect and save lives. LRAD mass notification systems are also used to communicate to crowds during large, outdoor events and to affected populations throughout emergency situations. LRAD systems are self-contained or easily integrated with existing communications infrastructure.
LRAD broadcasts follow the inverse square law, which teaches that for every doubling of the distance from the sound source, sound intensity diminishes by 6 decibels. Like all loudspeakers, LRAD’s audio output is measured in decibels at a distance of 1 meter in front of the device. According to The American Academy of Audiology, ambulance and fire engine sirens measure over 120 decibels and custom car stereos measure 140 decibels.
LRAD warning sirens are safe and very effective in gaining attention to the voice messages that follow. Contrary to erroneous reports, LRAD is incapable of generating very low frequencies and does not cause nausea or disorientation.
LRAD systems are safe, rugged, reliable, easy to operate and can be temporarily or permanently mounted.
LRAD Corporation maintains a strict policy of selling LRAD systems only to qualified government agencies and commercial security entities. Operators are trained in the device’s operation and use before deployment.
By maintaining a smooth frequency response with an intensity variation of less than 5dB, LRAD has eliminated the shortcomings of competitor systems by preventing audio fading and producing clear, unambiguous communication across all broadcast frequencies.
Each LRAD model is the loudest, most intelligible product in its size and weight category. Additionally, LRAD features a portable capability in a rugged, lightweight waterproof casing, as well as wireless capability and the option to operate the device remotely across an IP-accessible network. LRAD provides communication solutions to meet any operational requirement.
How LRAD is deployed in public, law enforcement and defense applications:
Step 1 – Operator broadcasts directions/instructions in a loud, clear voice
- LRAD broadcasts are highly effective in communicating clearly over distance and background noise to individuals, small groups and large crowds.
- Prerecorded messages can be broadcast in multiple languages clearly and effectively.
- Hailing and warning in an authoritative, highly intelligible voice provides clearly heard and understood instructions and direction.
Step 2 – If direction is not taken, operator then broadcasts a more authoritative message
- Deployment of LRAD at increased volume levels can safely influence behavior and create safety zones while preventing the need for the escalation of force (EOF).
- Stand down or move to more aggressive stance.
Step 3 – If directions/instructions are not taken, operator employs the LRAD warning tone.
- LRAD safely creates increased standoff and safety zones, supports resolution of uncertain situations, and alleviates the use of harmful or deadly force.
- LRAD is equipped with a volume control knob. Unlike tear gas, Tasers, rubber bullets, pepper spray and other non-lethal and lethal responses, LRAD is safe and easily modulated.
Step 4 – After employing the above steps, if individuals or crowds persist in unlawful actions, operators are assured they provided clearly heard and understood commands to cease and desist before initiating EOF.
- Performance – Longest range, clearest communication, reliable and demonstrated safe operation.
- Flexibility – Scalable, portable and available in several mounting configurations, including an IP-addressable option.
- Design – Overcomes background noise to further increase the communication range in any type of terrain and environment.
- Controls – Simple to operate, allowing immediate response and process initiation. Single operator use reduces manpower while increasing security coverage.
- Escalation of Force – Much safer alternative to non-lethal deterrents when initiating the EOF.
- Safety – Creates increased standoff distances to enhance the safety of the public while providing peacekeeping personnel more time to assess and respond appropriately to public safety situations.
LRAD systems clearly, effectively and safely communicate over distance, create large standoff zones, prevent misunderstandings, determine intent, alleviate uncertain situations, prevent injuries, and save lives on both sides of the Long Range Acoustic Device.